Thursday, September 8, 2016

Day 8 (30 in 30 Daily Painting Challenge) Face Your Fear, Why Not

Day 8 (30 in 30 Daily Painting Challenge)


I have been wanting to try abstract for some time, just to see what it's about.  After listening to Leslie Saeta's tips on using color schemes from Pinterest for inspiration, I finally faced my fear and just tried it.  Not only did I try a new type of painting, I also tried the palette knife that has been staring at me for months in it's gleaming cellophane wrapper.   And I got two paintings out tonight, I was having so much fun and had paint to use up!

I have NO idea how to successfully photograph a wet abstract painting as you can see in my photos.  The reflection from the lighting was crazy.  I suppose if I'd paint in daylight, I'd have better luck.

This was extremely fun and, as Leslie said earlier in an interview with CW Mundy, "Liberating!"  Holy smokes!   I can't wait to try it again now that I know I need a wider palette knife and not to blend the colors at all, wipe after every color!

"Face Your Fear"
5x7
Oil







"Day 8 (#2)   Why Not
5x7
Oil





2 comments:

  1. Kyla - all my favorite artwork in my home is abstract. I adore abstract art! I think your Face Your Fear piece is great. I love the unstructured merging of the color pallet your chose. When I look at piece of abstract art it stimulates my imagination and inspires me in a way a more straightforward piece of artwork never can. Way to broaden your horizon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the feedback, Ann! I'll definitely be trying more out, I had so much fun breaking away from control and detail and always being so conservative with the paint.

      Delete