Friday, September 30, 2016

DAY 30 (30 in 30 DAILY PAINTING CHALLENGE) MY ART NEMESIS

This is the official last day of the daily painting challenge with Leslie Saeta.  I am SO glad that I stuck this out, it was so hard but I learned so much from it in so many ways.  I will be posting a collage of the paintings tomorrow as well as a list of things I learned while doing this.

I have already come up with about 18 different themes to do this with which should keep me busy. :)  It is hard to commit every night to it but I am so inspired to paint often.

I saved the apple for last.  The apple is what most people start with in art class and in the books.  Apples drive me crazy.  I have always been bored with the ordinary item.  So I have been avoiding the apple for a very long time.   As I thought, I struggled greatly with the values in the apple.  I redid the apple several times (hence the green background I was then forced to work with which ended up in a lesson in itself, to paint a green apple in front of a green background).    I ended up more with a Braeburn or Gala rather than the beautiful Granny Smith I used for my "model".  I always preferred the Braeburn and Gala apples so that must be what happened.  This is only the second time I have painted still life without a photo and my lighting was absolutely horrid.  Even though I struggle a lot with still life, especially this stinkin' apple, I also find it very rewarding and can definitely see why it is so much better to paint in life with lighting than in photos.  It's harder but much better.  And to paint what you are afraid of to conquer it.  Or at least LEARN from it! (Right, Mr. Apple?)

I am anxious to get into some workshops next year and be able to have someone actually help me through a painting with the color and value problems I am having.  Meanwhile, I will continue to learn and grow and experiment.

I also think that spending more time on painting will help greatly.  Most all of these were done in about 1 hour, just before bed when I am exhausted and trying to get it done. It's a new fear of mine, that I now won't know how to take time on a painting.  A new fear to learn from and conquer.  It's always evolving. I am looking forward to seeing my progress when I spend more time on paintings, paint larger and paint in natural light.  

Thanks for joining me on this adventure.  Keep in tune, now that I have started this painting blog, I will keep up on it often to let you know my progress and new pieces.

DAY 30 (30 in 30 Daily Painting Challenge)
"MY ART NEMESIS"
5x7
#164
OIL































4 comments:

  1. Kyla, you can be very proud of your body of work! And you are echoing and giving voice to all of our fears as new artists. To put ourselves out there and feel judged is so difficult, and yet when we do so through this type of challenge we find we are just like everyone else and there is so much comfort in our shared humanity. A good book to read is Art and Fear. You can get it at the library. Short and simple but helps get over some of our self-imposed obstacles. Good luck! You will do great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, I really appreciate the feedback. It's definitely scary to put my new paintings out there but I'm grateful to see others grow with me. Thanks again! :)

      Delete
    2. Finally got the audio book "Art and Fear" and you are right, it's amazing. Thanks again for the tip 😊

      Delete
  2. WOW! That you panted at the end of the day even though you were tired. High five to you for tenacity! And just starting your blog at the same time! You have gumption! Following you now, So I won't miss a thing. I am going back to look again at your 30's. I don't remember some of them, but that always happens to me. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete