Monday, September 12, 2016

DAY 12 (30 in 30 Daily Painting Challenge) FUN STUFF

I have deadlines for my felt art shows and felt pressured to get started on new pieces, feeling a nagging in the back of my mind that I really should be doing the felting as my daily challenge, not the painting that I've been laboring to learn.

At lunch, I sat outside in the beautiful autumn sun and sketched an elk and bear felt layout for my needle felt paintings that would be attached to Birch wood wall hangings.

When I got home, I got to work and realized I only had one Birch wood wall hanging left so I ordered a stash of them and started on the elk.


When it was done I walked the dog with my husband and then did my chores.  I kept hearing a whisper from the art room... "Kyla....  abstract is fun and fast.  you have time!! You're all set up already!  Do it!!"
 
I grabbed the iPad, set it on it's new easel (thank you, Leslie Saeta, for the tip!) and found a color scheme I had been saving on Pinterest.  I got to work mixing colors on my palette.   My painting ended up bold and bright and fun, an abstract version of the color scheme inspiration.  With time and paint to use up, I made another 5x7 which I'll share tomorrow for Day 13!


 I started the day feeling overwhelmed by the felt deadlines and discouraged by the painting I'd been doing after seeing all the amazing artists on the challenge but now I am feeling productive and so happy to paint such bold, bright and fun abstracts, a finished felted painting and success in sketching at lunch (thanks AGAIN, A.H.A.)    I seem to be fulfilling the #1 rule for the challenge which is to have fun.  Even through all the self-doubt, insecurity and pressures of time. 

How can felting and painting be so fun?  I'm in heaven!

Day 12 (30 in 30 Daily Painting Challenge)
"BLOSSOMS BY THE SEA"
5x7
#217
Oil



No comments:

Post a Comment