Friday, September 16, 2016

Day 16 (30 in 30 Daily Painting Challenge) White Orchids

 Tonight, I decided to try a new technique and use a black gessoed canvas I got from the craft store awhile back.  I found it to be extremely dry and hard to brush on, I think if I do black under painting again, I'll make my own but it was great to try it.  I found my white pencil I use for sewing and sketched out my basic orchid shape and then lost myself once again in the painting and forgot to take progress pictures.  (Leslie Saeta, you're right!  We all need to get that function where the phone takes pictures every 5 minutes without you thinking about it!)

As I paint, I can hear the tips from the radio show about making shadows darker than what I think they are and to minimize my brush strokes, Carol Marine said to make sure every brush stroke has a purpose and that's what I have been slowly trying to learn with each painting so that eventually it wil become second nature but it's a slow progress.  These are definitely weak points of mine, overworking and value work.  I feel like I can see improvement overall though since I started this challenge 16 days ago...  It definitely just takes work and time and I just need to have fun with the journey, learn something and not worry about the end result.  

Day 16 (30 in Daily Painting Challenge)
"White Orchids"
5x7
#195
Oil





















2 comments:

  1. These are so lovely! I am guilty of overworking too, and values are something I need more practice with. The joys of learning :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sheila! This challenge has really helped me keep working on things :) I had an idea yesterday of sketching at my breaks at work. Just taking some of my office supplies and do a quick still life with them for value work.

      Delete