Tuesday, September 11, 2018

Prineville Plein Air

I spent this last weekend in Prineville, working on our property.  I took my oil paints to try and paint plein air for the first time.  My husband asked that I paint the property as what I am imagining it will look like with some of our ideas we'd discussed.  I sat in the sun and stared in the direction of where the grain bin house, atrium, grain bin art studio, garage, juniper fence, eucalyptus trees and lavender field would be on our one and a half acres and attempted to paint what wasn't there. The scale is way off and the driveway looks like a large lake instead of a small turn-around.   It was very difficult and I am not happy with the result but it was a learning experience for sure and I am considering it a study so I can do another, larger painting of our property for my husband I to look at for inspiration.  Here are some lessons I learned this weekend:

1.  With one half my face now the shade of a tomato, an umbrella and hat are on my wish list.
2.  The paints dried out quickly.  
3.  I need something to put the paper towel roll on.
4.  Remember the palette.
5.  Remember the correct easel for plein air.
6.  Know my brushes better.

I didn't think I would ever share this little pathetic first attempt to paint outside but this blog is my learning log for painting.  In addition to celebrating the joy of creating beautiful pieces, the bad ones need to be documented too because that's how I learn from my mistakes and how I'm able to see progress.  

Future Dreams
11x14 Oil on Canvas Panel

4 comments:

  1. Hi Kyla. I think you're being too hard on yourself and your first plein air attempt. Only you know that it's a driveway not a lake--and most people prefer a lake anyway. ;) Nice color harmonies. Do be careful of the sun--it's more dangerous than you'd think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carol, thanks so much for the feedback and kind words.

      Delete
  2. Exactly. It looks like a vary nice lake, and who wouldn't want waterfront property, right? LOL. Lovely feeling here. And lessons learned, no one can take that away :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sheila! I am anxious to repaint it and see how it goes.

      Delete