Tuesday, September 4, 2018

DAY 4 30 in 30 Daily Painting Challenge

I managed to spend most of the holiday in my PJs working on art which was fantastic.  I painted with my oil paints and palette knife, a fluid pour painting on 8" round birch, worked on weaving and a little sewing.  I suppose my perfect day is rotating between art projects all day, coffee in hand of course.  It makes it hard to go back to work though.

While the fluid painting is fast, fun and therapeutic to watch the cells form within blended colors, oil painting gives me a place where I am challenged and time is completely lost. I search for ways to make the knife work for me in intricate shapes and colors and each painting teaches me how to create illusions in shade and light.   It still baffles me that I have fallen for the richness and impressionistic side of palette knife painting.  I have one side of me telling me to get the details in and make it real looking while my other side says to let it go and just appreciate the rich thick colors and texture of the palette knife.

I still find myself battling within on if palette knife is the way to go for me.  But it seems like it provides freedom to let go and not have control and let things be.  I think we all search for that and need that today.  To not worry about control.. There is too much focus on our need for control now a days.  Maybe that's why I paint this way.  To just let go and let color and texture fill my soul for a small while...

.
"Three Amigo Flamingos"
Oil On Canvas Board 6x6-Palette Knife

"Letting Go"
Acrylic Mixed Media- 8"Round on Birch

3 comments: