Friday, September 7, 2018

Day 7 of 30 in 30 Daily Painting Challenge

I tried using a black canvas with this painting.  I started out trying to spread black around edges for a particular look but it didn't work so I spread the color pour around whole canvas.  I struggled to fix the painting and did another pour in the lower corner to keep adjusting the painting.  I finally heated the painting to bring cells to the surface.  I wasn't sure I liked it and asked my fellow pour painters and they all seemed to like the composition and my husband said it was one of his favorites.  It goes to show you that, as Brett always says, my opinion doesn't matter with my art. Haha!  It darkened a bit when it dried.  I still am not sure I like the composition but I do love the colors and cells.


I think a lot of people think it's just simply pouring paint and doesn't involve skill to do but it provides a look you can't paint with a brush or knife.  It involves calculations to mix the paint, fluid, water and silicone to provide the correct consistency to cover where you want and to develop the size cells you wish to create.  It also involves deciding which colors to layer that will create the right blend you search for.  Deciding what thickness or transparency colors will create and account for how the brand of acrylic paint you use will darken when dry. After making all of these decisions, you must plan how you'll pour for your composition and then it takes steady, patient hands to spread the pour so you don't lose your cells and also to create color combinations and patterns.  After the paint is spread where you want, you make the decisions to heat the paint carefully and slowly, picking where to bring up color, crackling and cells and where to leave it alone.  Though it seems an easy art for people to pick up, there is a lot to decision making and patience for a painting to become what you want it to be. 

With these paintings, it's best to study the painting zoomed in to see the richness of color blending within the cells.  Give it a go and see what you see when zoomed in...

 "Tranquil Chaos"
11x14 Acrylic on Stretched Canvas

No comments:

Post a Comment