Friday, January 6, 2017

DAY 4 and 5 - Worked and Reworked My Grandmother Painting

DAY 4 and 5- 30 in 30 Daily Painting Challenge

I have been painting every day for hours but it's been to work and rework and rework and rework the painting I did of my grandmother.  After hours of knit picking, I wiped her face on Wednesday night and started over yesterday on her face.  I think I liked the first one better but my mom insists that this one is just like her too...

I did learn a lot while painting her.

 1.  Use two jars of gamsol to keep brush/paint cleaner
 2.  Pin down the brushes that work  don't work more quickly than trying to keep working the painting with the wrong brushes....
 3.  Mix enough flesh tones, they definitely come out different with every mix!

What I need to learn:

1.  color tones for values (light to dark of flesh tone) without using black/white
2.  eyes
3.  teeth
4.  less strokes, less mud

I decided to put her away and move on to other paintings starting tonight. 

3 comments:

  1. Looks great to me, again. :) Happy learning to you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your grandmother looks like a wonderful person! I rarely paint people but understand a smile is very hard to depict, and I think you got it.

    ReplyDelete