Saturday, October 8, 2016

15x30 Sealion Painting Process- Underpainting and sketch out on canvas

 After doing a grid sketch study, I moved to the canvas and painted my underpainting.  It started out green but I changed it to a bluish purple grey.  (hard to photograph). 

After a few days, I was able to finally set up my lighting better and started on my paint outlines.  I laid the grid out on the painted canvas with white pencil and then sketched out each block with burnt sienna.  My brain still sketches the subject rather than by block but the grid lines helped me refocus often.  This was the scariest part for me.  I am ready to start blocking in.


(as I was sketching the grid lines, I had somehow picked up some pink paint onto the ruler and of course planted itself smack into the canvas but it will be covered)


No comments:

Post a Comment